State seal of the State of Vermont
The State of Vermont
The Office of the Attorney General

File a complaint against an enforcement officer?


Home » How do I... » File a complaint against an enforcement officer?

File a complaint against a law enforcement officer?

February 27, 2012 - The place to start is usually with the head of the police department or sheriff’s office where the officer works. Some departments, including the Vermont State Police, have internal affairs units, whose responsibility it is to investigate complaints against officers. In some cases, it is also appropriate to notify the mayor or town manager of the municipality involved. Where the complaint relates to alleged criminal activity by a police officer, you may contact the State Police, your local State’s Attorney’s Office, or the Attorney General’s Criminal Division.

  Website consulting provided by The National Association of Attorneys General.