State seal of the State of Vermont
The State of Vermont
The Office of the Attorney General

File an employment discrimination complaint?


Home » How do I... » File an employment discrimination complaint?

File an employment discrimination complaint?

February 23, 2004 -

If you are State employee, and you believe you have been discriminated against in employment, or if you believe you have been discriminated against in public accommodations (for example, denial of service in a retail establishment or other business), or in housing, please contact:: Vermont Human Rights Commission, 135 State Street, Drawer 33, Montpelier, VT 05633-6301, (802) 828-2480. If you believe that your employer has engaged in unlawful practices related to your wages or hours (for example, denial of overtime pay), please contact Vermont Department of Labor & Industry, Wage & Hour Division, National Life Building, Drawer 20, Montpelier, VT 05620-3410, (802) 828-2157.

This questionnaire is designed to help the Civil Rights Unit determine whether your situation can be investigated by the Attorney General's Office. The Attorney General's Office enforces:

  • the Vermont Fair Employment Practices Act,

  • the Vermont Parental and Family Leave law,
  • state law forbidding discrimination for asserting a claim to workers compensation,
  • and laws regulating polygraph testing and drug testing by employers.

If you believe that you have been discriminated against or treated unlawfully because of:

  • race,
  • color,
  • religion,
  • national origin,
  • sex,
  • sexual orientation,
  • ancestry,
  • place of birth,
  • age,
  • physical or mental condition,

  • HIV status,
  • for having asserted a claim to worker's compensation,
  • in relation to family or parental leave,
  • in relation to drug testing or polygraph testing, or
  • in relation to a complaint or investigation of discrimination


If it is difficult for you to fill out this questionnaire FOR ANY REASON, please contact us and we will find another way to get the information.

Employment Discrimination Complaint Form (PDF, 302k)

  Website consulting provided by The National Association of Attorneys General.