State seal of the State of Vermont
The State of Vermont
The Office of the Attorney General

Employment Law


Home » Issues » Employment Law

Employment Law

The Civil Rights Unit is responsible for enforcing state laws which prohibit discrimination in employment. These include laws which prohibit discrimination based on race, color, religion, ancestry, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, place of birth, age, handicap, HIV status, or for asserting a claim to worker's compensation, and laws which prohibit retaliation against any person who makes a claim of discrimination.

The Civil Rights Unit also enforces the laws related to employment-related drug testing, and polygraph (lie detector) testing, and the state laws which relate to parental and family leave, click Investigative Procedure for a detailed description.

Employers and employees with questions related to Vermont and Federal Parental and Family Leave Law should see the attached document: Family Leave Brochure. Printed copies of this brochure are available on from the Civil Rights Division or from the Governor's Commission on Women, (802) 828-2851.

Any employee or job applicant who believes s/he has suffered discrimination in employment may make a complaint to this office. Click questionnaire to download a copy of the form we ask charging parties to complete. You can mail or fax the completed questionnaire to the address listed below.

Employers who need information regarding their legal obligations under the laws referred to above may also call the Civil Rights Unit for general information.

The Civil Rights Unit is a "deferral agency" for the U.S. Equal Employment Opportunity Commission. This means that complaints of discrimination under federal law (Title VII, the equal pay Act, the Americans with Disabilities Act, and the Age Discrimination in Employment Act) may be filed with this agency instead of, or in addition to filing with the EEOC. Most claims of violation of federal law must be filed with this agency within 300 days of the last incident of discrimination. Our office investigates these claims under our parallel state laws, and issues a recommendation to the EEOC at the conclusion of each investigation.

Our office does not have jurisdiction over claims of discrimination in public accommodations (for example, denial of access to or discrimination by businesses, public groups and meetings, and the like) and housing. We do not accept claims of employment discrimination against the State of Vermont. These matters are handled by the Vermont Human Rights Commission, which can be reached at:

Vermont Human Rights Commission
135 State Street, Drawer 33
Montpelier, VT 05633-6301

(802) 828-2480

More information...

  Website consulting provided by The National Association of Attorneys General.